Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Fearless cricket, what about a fearless life?

Heard Virendra Sehwag the other day after an IPL match,

'I told the boys to play fearless cricket'.

How simple, but profound! Sehwag's style has always been fearless, it has not worked in all matches for him. Given the success he had in international cricket so far, it is difficult to say that the odds of succeeding playing fearless cricket is low. If anything, he has done much better than some other methodical players who have always been afraid of losing their wicket and at some point in their career ended up losing their place in the elite class. Being fearless does not guarantee success, but does it guarantee peace of mind? At least for some?

Being fearless frees you from the burden of future, as you can't expect much and just take whatever comes along the way.

I wonder why it is so painstakingly frustrating to stop thinking about the future? That is where all the fear starts. What happens if I lose my savings some day? What happens if I catch an illness tomorrow that has no cure? What happens if something wrong happens on my way to office today?

Fear of unknown plays such a big part in our lives.

How I wish life was that simple and I could suggest somebody:

"Go out there into the big world and live a fearless life".

Alas, how I wish...

3 comments:

Hemant Khachane said...

Great questions! Fear of unknown always play a vital role in our life because its due to our reptile brain evolving since from millions of years when human was living in forest and wanted to save his life from wild animals.

When do we have fear? Fear always exists in future. What will happen -if I loose my life, if I loose someone close to me, if I loose my savings, if I will be alone for rest of my life, if people will criticize me or not appreciate my work etc?
Look at pattern, it can exist only in future(like what will happen). Most successful people can also be fearful because they get attached with maintaining some psychological, great, fancy image given by society.
Any kind of true spirituality, zen, Buddhist, hindu teaches us to live in this very moment. Be total in this moment, Now. Because In Now/present moment, there is no fear as there is full acceptance. Surrendering is one of the key aspect in Hinduism. You see, how many things we are surrendering unconsciously. We eat food, do we care how it is getting digested? If one continuously fear and so think how food is getting digested, surely he will face serious problem during digestion.

We are Human being. When we are at Human level, we try to solve all problems, insecurity by doing and so there is fear. But we are Being playing Human role and nature/God is very intelligent to nurture us.
Simple idea is to learn the art of being in present moment. This thing will take time because learning this art means rewiring our brain, nervous system with different neurons paths.

Bijayalaxmi Nanda said...

Living in the present is easier said than done. It takes discipline, practice and a good understanding of our own self.

Most people spend their lives doing the pre-work.

Hemant Khachane said...

Intellect always needs immediate results. But there are no shortcut for fearlessness or getting rid of suffering or insecurity. Our patterns of problems keeps repeating in every one and other forms unless we solve them. The peak has to be achieved via abyss.